August 18, 2026 | 06:27 pm

TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) on Monday, August 17, denied claims by US President Donald Trump that there are backchannel talks between Washington and the IRGC, according to Antara, quoting Xinhua.
In an interview with Iran's semi-official Tasnim news agency, IRGC spokesperson Hossein Mohebbi called Trump's claims "delusions," stating that no dialogue is currently taking place between IRGC officials and the Americans.
“No talks are taking place between IRGC officials and the Americans,” the spokesperson said, adding that the claims were lies and “fantasies born of delusions and nightmares resulting from defeat and desperation in the war.”
In fact, Iran's diplomatic side is not currently negotiating with the US due to Washington's "breach of promises," Mohebbi said.
“Trump’s fantasies will not help him on the battlefield,” he added.
Separately, in a press conference on Monday, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei denied media reports of unofficial contacts between Washington and the IRGC via Iraqi Kurdistan officials, as well as an alleged secret US-Iran meeting in Erbil.
These reports are "media techniques and psychological operations used to sow discord among Iran's decision-making bodies," Baghaei said.
US broadcaster Fox News previously reported that Trump confirmed the existence of a back-channel for peace talks between Washington and the IRGC.
“We are speaking directly with IRGC officials in Iran,” he said.
Read: Qatar Denies Holding Iran's Missing Fighter Pilots
Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News
Qatar Denies Holding Iran's Missing Fighter Pilots
1 hari lalu

Qatar on Saturday denied that it was detaining Iranian pilots who went missing early in the US-Israeli war with Iran after their aircraft were downed.
Lebanon Says 11 Killed in Israeli Airstrikes
2 hari lalu

Lebanon's prime minister denounced the attacks on villages in southern Lebanon for targeting civilians in their homes.
Was Trump Joking About Declaring Hormuz US Territory?
3 hari lalu

US President Donald Trump was reportedly "joking" when he said he would declare the Strait of Hormuz US territory.
Trump to Declare Strait of Hormuz US Territory 'Soon'
3 hari lalu

Donald Trump said the Strait of Hormuz would become part of the US after Iran is defeated and told Americans to expect rising gas prices.
Fact Check: Is Video of Iranian Nuclear Missiles Real?
4 hari lalu

Tempo's Fact Check team investigated viral videos claiming to show Iranian nuclear missiles transported by trucks.
US and Iran Agree to 60-Day Ceasefire Extension
6 hari lalu

The US and Iran agree to extend their ceasefire for 60 days as the current truce is set to expire on August 17.
Iran Prepares Bill to Bar 'Enemy' Ships from Entering Gulf
6 hari lalu

Iran's parliament is preparing a bill to bar military and commercial vessels from "hostile" nations from entering the Gulf without Tehran's approval.
Trump Secretly Switched Planes in Turkiye Amid Reported Iran Threat
7 hari lalu

US President Donald Trump secretly transferred to a military jet in Trkiye last month amid an alleged Iranian assassination threat, reports said.
Middle East: Iran Wants US Concessions Before Opening Hormuz
7 hari lalu

Iran's Foreign Ministry reiterated that the US must meet Tehran's demands before the Strait of Hormuz is reopened.
Mojtaba Khamenei Reportedly Appears in Public After 5 Months
8 hari lalu

Iranian Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei met President Masoud Pezeshkian on Sunday, marking his first public and media appearance in five months.

















































