February 22, 2026 | 04:14 pm

TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - U.S. President Donald Trump convened the inaugural meeting of the Board of Peace (BoP) in Washington, D.C., on Thursday, February 19, local time. The forum, which he said would support the reconstruction and stabilization of Gaza, produced multibillion-dollar funding pledges and plans to establish an international force.
In the Gaza Strip, however, Palestinians responded with skepticism.
According to a report by Al Jazeera, in the streets and displacement camps across central and southern Gaza, where hundreds of thousands of Palestinians have taken refuge, attention is not focused on diplomatic language or political frameworks. Instead, the dominant question is whether the new initiative will bring tangible improvements to daily life.
“I’ve heard about money being collected for Gaza, but we see nothing. This has happened many times, but nothing ever changes,” said Amal Joudeh, 43, who lives in a tent in Deir el-Balah.
Joudeh lost her home and continues to live in dire conditions.
“I am one of the people whose house is gone. I still have no home. My husband is injured, and my children are injured. We want any support or reconstruction … any solution,” said the mother of eight, who previously lived in Beit Lahiya in northern Gaza.
Funding Pledges and International Force
Reporting from NBC News said the first BoP meeting was attended by representatives from more than 40 countries, including several heads of state. At the forum, Trump announced that nine countries had pledged a combined US$7 billion for Gaza’s reconstruction.
Five countries also expressed readiness to contribute troops to a planned International Stabilisation Force for the Palestinian territory. Trump further said the United States would contribute US$10 billion to the Board of Peace, although he did not specify how the funds would be allocated.
“We will help Gaza. We will straighten it out. We will make it successful. We will make it peaceful. And we will do things like that in other spots,” Trump said during the meeting.
Even so, the total commitments announced remain far below United Nations estimates. The United Nations has projected that rebuilding Gaza after more than two years of Israeli bombardment could cost as much as US$70 billion.
Expanded Mandate
Trump initially introduced the Board of Peace as a body focused on peace efforts in Gaza. However, its mandate has since expanded into a United Nations-style organization that could address major conflicts in other parts of the world.
Around 27 countries have signaled their intention to join the initiative. The inaugural meeting was attended by several world leaders, including Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orbán and Argentine President Javier Milei.
However, key U.S. allies such as the United Kingdom, France, Norway, and Sweden opted not to join. Some countries have raised concerns that establishing a new body could undermine the role of the United Nations in global peacekeeping operations.
Read: Former Deputy FM: Prabowo Should Have Raised Two-State Solution at BoP
Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google New
Former Deputy FM: Prabowo Should Have Raised Two-State Solution at BoP
1 jam lalu

Dino Patti Djalal regretted that President Prabowo Subianto did not mention the two-state solution and Palestinian independence at the Board of Peace Conference after his speech.
Palestine Acknowledges Indonesian Troops' Role in Gaza, Says Minister
20 jam lalu

Foreign Minister Sugiono said that Indonesian troops will not participate in the disarmament or demilitarization of the Gaza Strip.
Hamas Sets Conditions for Gaza Peacekeeping Forces
21 jam lalu

Hamas refuses to intervene in the internal affairs of the Gaza Strip.
Foreign Minister Reveals Why Indonesia Serves as Deputy Commander of Gaza ISF
22 jam lalu

Foreign Minister Sugiono claims that the Indonesian army has a good reputation.
No Military Operations for Indonesian Troops in Gaza, Says Minister
1 hari lalu

Foreign Minister Sugiono clarifies that 8,000 Indonesian troops in Gaza will focus on civilian protection and defensive actions.
Prabowo Claims Gaza Situation Has Improved
1 hari lalu

President Prabowo claims Gaza's food aid is at a multi-year high.
Prabowo: First Batch of Soldiers Likely Depart for Gaza in 'One or Two Months'
1 hari lalu

President Prabowo Subianto has announced the deployment of up to 8,000 Indonesian National Armed Forces (TNI) soldiers to Gaza.
Prabowo Warns Some Seek to Derail Peace in Gaza
1 hari lalu

President Prabowo Subianto claims he is determined to achieve success through the Board of Peace for the people of Palestine.
Prabowo Praises Gaza Ceasefire as 'Real Achievement'
2 hari lalu

President Prabowo speaks at the inaugural meeting of the Board of Peace in Washington, D.C., United States.
Trump's BoP Seeks Lasting, Peaceful Solution for Palestine, Says Prabowo
2 hari lalu

Indonesian president Prabowo SUbianti reiterated his hope for peace in Gaza and a permanent resolution to the Palestinian issue.
















































