
TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Indonesia’s Foreign Ministry said it continues to coordinate closely with Malaysian authorities after all 39 Indonesian nationals involved in last week’s boat sinking off Pangkor Island were found.
Foreign Ministry spokesperson Yvonne Mewengkang said Malaysian authorities had accounted for all victims in the incident, including 23 survivors and 16 fatalities.
“The Indonesian Embassy in Kuala Lumpur continues to coordinate closely with Malaysian authorities regarding the identification process for the bodies and assistance for the survivors,” Yvonne said in a written statement on Monday.
She added that Indonesia’s Foreign Ministry and the Indonesian Embassy in Kuala Lumpur are continuing to monitor developments in the handling of the case and are providing consular assistance to affected Indonesians and their families when needed.
Based on data verification, the survivors come from several Indonesian provinces, including Aceh, Banten, Riau Islands, Lampung, West Nusa Tenggara, East Nusa Tenggara, Southeast Sulawesi, and North Sumatra.
According to Yvonne, Malaysian search and rescue authorities officially ended the operation on Saturday, May 16, after no additional victims were found following six days of search efforts.
The search operation had previously been expanded to cover an area of 244.76 nautical miles with support from sea, air, and land rescue units.
Yvonne explained that initial information from Malaysian authorities, based on testimony from surviving crew members, indicated that 37 Indonesians had been on board, with 14 reported missing.
However, additional victims were later discovered during the search operation, bringing the total number of victims found to 39.
“The Indonesian Foreign Ministry expresses its appreciation to Malaysia’s search and rescue authorities and maritime police for their efforts in locating and handling the victims,” Yvonne said.
Earlier, the Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (MMEA) in Perak confirmed that all 39 Indonesian victims involved in the boat sinking incident had been found.
Perak Maritime Director Maritime Captain Mohd Shukri Khotob said all recovered bodies had been handed over to police before being taken to hospital for identification and investigation.
Malaysian authorities suspect the Indonesians were undocumented migrants.
Read: Malaysia Ends Search for Capsized Migrant Boat Victims
Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News
Fact Check: False Claim Says Prabowo Closed Malacca Strait, Angering Anwar Ibrahim
21 menit lalu

Fact check - The content circulating is a compilation of videos from different events and contexts.
Police Probe Assault of Indonesian in Malaysia Linked to Tin Smuggling
1 jam lalu

Indonesian police is probing an assault of an Indonesian citizen in Selangor, Malaysia. The case is suspected to be related to illegal tin smuggling.
Malaysia Ends Search for Capsized Migrant Boat Victims
19 jam lalu

16 people died and 23 were rescued after the vessel carrying 37 undocumented passengers sank on May 11 off the coast of Malaysia's Pangkor Island.
Prabowo Claims Indonesian Judges' Salaries Higher Than Malaysia's
1 hari lalu

President Prabowo mentions that the salary of Indonesian judges is now higher than Malaysia's after the government increased it by up to 300 percent.
Indonesian Citizen Allegedly Kidnapped in Malaysia Over Tin Smuggling
1 hari lalu

A citizen of Prabumulih, South Sumatra, is suspected of being kidnapped and assaulted by an illegal tin smuggling syndicate in Selangor, Malaysia.
What Does Norway's Cancelled Missile Export License Mean for Malaysia?
3 hari lalu

Prime Minister of Malaysia, Anwar Ibrahim, criticized Norway for revoking the export license of the Naval Strike Missile system intended for the modernization of Malaysia's military.
7 Indonesians Dead in Boat Sinking off Malaysia's Perak
4 hari lalu

The Indonesian Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirms seven citizens died after a boat carrying 37 people sank off Pangkor Island, Malaysia.
Singapore Hails Malacca Strait Pact with Indonesia, Malaysia
5 hari lalu

Singapore Foreign Minister said the efforts to maintain the waterway safe and open could serve as an example for other regions around the world.
Indonesian Migrant Boat Capsizes off Malaysia, 23 Rescued
5 hari lalu

The victims are believed to have departed from Kisaran, Indonesia, on May 9, 2026, bound for several destinations in Malaysia.
Purbaya: Indonesia's Debt Level Safer Than Malaysia, Thailand
6 hari lalu

Purbaya states that the government's debt is still safe as its ratio is lower compared to neighboring countries such as Singapore, Malaysia, and Thailand.














































