Three Killed in Shooting at San Diego Mosque, Police Probe Hate Crime

4 hours ago 3

TEMPO.CO, Jakarta Three people were killed in a shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego on Monday, May 18, 2026, while authorities said two teenage suspects were later found dead inside a car near the mosque.

As reported by DW, police responded to the incident around midday after receiving a 911 call about gunfire at the mosque complex. Officers arrived within four minutes and discovered three victims dead outside the Islamic Center, including a security guard.

San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl said the situation immediately triggered an active shooter response.

While officers were securing the area at around 11:43 a.m. local time, authorities also received reports of gunfire several blocks away. A landscaper was reportedly shot at but was not injured.

Police later located two teenage suspects dead inside a vehicle near the mosque. Investigators are currently treating the attack as a hate crime due to the location of the shooting and evidence found at the scene.

According to CNN, one of the weapons used in the shooting had hate speech scrawled on it. Law enforcement officials also said one of the suspects left behind a suicide note containing references to racial pride.

US President Donald Trump said he had been briefed on the incident.

“It’s a terrible situation,” Trump said during a healthcare event at the White House. He added that federal authorities were “looking at it very strongly.”

The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) condemned the attack, calling it a “horrifying act of violence.”

“We strongly condemn this horrifying act of violence at the Islamic Center of San Diego. Our thoughts are with everyone impacted by this attack,” CAIR said in a statement.

The organization also stressed that no one should fear for their safety while attending prayers or studying at a place of worship.

Local imam Taha Hassane said the mosque has long played an active role in building bridges within the broader San Diego community. He noted that a group of non-Muslim visitors had toured the mosque shortly before the shooting as part of efforts to improve understanding of Islam.

Authorities said all children present at the Islamic Center during the attack were safely evacuated.

“All of the kids are safe,” Wahl told reporters, while expressing condolences to families of the victims.

Television footage showed more than a dozen children being escorted out of the mosque’s parking area as parents gathered nearby to pick them up.

According to the Islamic Center’s website, the mosque offers educational programs for children as young as five years old.

Read: Cambridge Shooting: Gunman Opens Fire on Vehicles, Two Critical

Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News


Cambridge Shooting: Gunman Opens Fire on Vehicles, Two Critical

6 hari lalu

Cambridge Shooting: Gunman Opens Fire on Vehicles, Two Critical

Gunman who opened fire along Memorial Drive in Cambridge on Monday afternoon has been identified as 46-year-old Boston resident Tyler Brown.


White House Press Dinner Shooting Suspect Pleads Not Guilty

7 hari lalu

White House Press Dinner Shooting Suspect Pleads Not Guilty

A California man has been charged with attempting to assassinate Trump at the White House Correspondents' Association dinner.


US Gala Shooting Suspect Charged in Trump Assassination Attempt

20 hari lalu

US Gala Shooting Suspect Charged in Trump Assassination Attempt

If convicted, the attempted assassination charge carries a potential life sentence.


FBI Reviews Security Protocols for White House Press Conferences

21 hari lalu

FBI Reviews Security Protocols for White House Press Conferences

FBI Director Kash Patel will overhaul security for Donald Trump's next White House press conference.


Who Is Cole Allen, the White House Dinner Breach Suspect?

21 hari lalu

Who Is Cole Allen, the White House Dinner Breach Suspect?

New details emerge about Cole Allen, the 31-year-old teacher identified as the suspect in the White House Correspondents' Association dinner shooting.


Gunman in Trump Dinner Shooting Leaves Manifesto Targeting Officials

21 hari lalu

Gunman in Trump Dinner Shooting Leaves Manifesto Targeting Officials

Cole Tomas Allen, 31, suspect of Trump shooting, left behind a written manifesto outlining his intention to target members of the Trump administration


Trump Shooting Occurs at Site of Ronald Reagan Assassination Attempt

22 hari lalu

Trump Shooting Occurs at Site of Ronald Reagan Assassination Attempt

The shooting that occurred to Trump at Washington Hilton Hotel was the same location as the assassination attempt on Ronald Reagan 45 years ago.


Trump Says Shooting Won't Dissuade Him from Iran War

22 hari lalu

Trump Says Shooting Won't Dissuade Him from Iran War

President Trump stated that the shooting incident at the White House Correspondents' Dinner will not deter him from the Iran war.


What to Know About Suspected Shooter at Trump's White House Dinner

22 hari lalu

What to Know About Suspected Shooter at Trump's White House Dinner

The Washington Police said a suspect has been apprehended after firing shots at a dinner attended by Trump.


Washington Shooting: Trump Unhurt, World Leaders Condemn Violence

22 hari lalu

Washington Shooting: Trump Unhurt, World Leaders Condemn Violence

President Donald Trump was evacuated after gunfire at the annual White House Correspondents' Dinner where journalists and celebrities were gathered.


Read Entire Article
Bogor View | Pro Banten | | |